What can I say? I love to run. I've run 4 full marathons and 6 halfs. But I love God more and I'm determined to run this race of life for Him to receive the ultimate prize of Heaven. I'd like to share my thoughts with you. You can agree or disagree. Comment or don't. You can read or not read. But it's here if you want it. Enjoy! .

Thursday, March 25, 2010

Possum in a Bag

11:56AM

I didn't do a long run this week. I intended to. I was on the street doing it when I realized I wasn't going to do it. Say what? Here's the story. I decided that I was going to do 14 Sunday morning. I've been doing 12 for the last few months but I decided that since the half marathon is coming up in about a month, I wanted to up it a little to get ready. So I had planned 14. I set my alarm for 5:30 and went to bed early so I could get enough sleep. It was hard getting up that early. It was Spring Break last week and I slept most mornings until 7:30 or 8. But I jumped right up at 5:30, ready to do the 14. I started out and was actually excited about it. The weather was perfect and I felt great. I got about a half mile down the road when it hit me. I think I was thinking about times and what time I wanted to get for this 14 and what time I would get home. I have to be home by 6:45 to start getting ready for church b/c we go to early service. That's when it hit me. I can't run 14 miles in an hour and 15 minutes!!!! If I could, I'd have to seriously think about changing my career!! What did I do wrong? That's when I realized I'd gotten up an hour too late. I was supposed to get up at 4:30. Not 5:30. My brain had gone to sleep before my body the night before and I set my alarm for the wrong time. I then had to figure out what to do. Do I run it anyways and be late for church? I knew that Susan would have started to worry about me when I didn't come back until they were about to leave. Do I stop and do it later?? I just decided to give up the long run for the week and I would run 6 miles instead. About the time I decided that, I looked down and was literally inches away from stepping on a life possum. He had his head in a McDonalds sack and didn't see or hear me until I screamed a little. Actually, I think I said "WHOA!!" (or maybe something else) and he popped his little head out and just stared at me. So I was kindof disappointed to just do the 6 and it's really gotten me behind this week but I guess it's ok to take a week off of the long runs every once in a while. I WILL do 14 this Sunday, rain or shine!

By the way, I got done with my 6 weeks of pushup training last week. I had followed the program on hundredpushups.com and supposedly would be able to do 100 pushups after I finished. I was pumped to try my 100 on Saturday. All I have to say is, 100 PUSHUPS MY FOOT!! I could only manage 60 before I collapsed on the floor. Not sure what happened but the program was a bust. I meant to keep trying this week but I haven't kept up with it. Oh well. You win some. You lose some.

(LATER UPDATE - I tried pushups again tonight (March 25) and was able to do 80 so I'm getting closer. I think I'll keep trying.)

Carter's race is in 2 weeks. Very exciting. Training is going well. I've joined Dailymile whatever that is. I'm still figuring it all out but feel free to search for me there. Click here.

Have a great weekend and

Keep runnin',
Albert

1 comment:

  1. I've done the miscalculating time before a long run thing. Frustrating when your mentally prepared for the long run and then you realize it won't work. Glad you got six miles in though.

    Glad that the possum was alive and not dead because if you would have said you almost stepped on a dead possum that would have been even more of a shock.

    Nothing wrong with 60 or 80 pushups. Way more than I can do right now :)!

    The 5K is geting close...Bet Carter is getting excited.

    ReplyDelete