What can I say? I love to run. I've run 4 full marathons and 6 halfs. But I love God more and I'm determined to run this race of life for Him to receive the ultimate prize of Heaven. I'd like to share my thoughts with you. You can agree or disagree. Comment or don't. You can read or not read. But it's here if you want it. Enjoy! .

Tuesday, June 7, 2011

Anyone Remember Mr. Ed?

I meant to include a quote I heard from a fellow teacher on my last post that had to do with Suffering. In a teachers' only chapel one day, this teacher told us she had heard the following:

"All sun and no rain makes a desert."

So simple, but so true. Sometimes we complain about the rain. It messes up plans or cancels activities. (I don't think many would complain about it right now as hot as it's been.) But the truth is, we need the rain. It would be a desert around here without it. In the same way, we need (and again - should rejoice) when we have "rainy" days in our lives....when Suffering occurs. We can't just have sunny, happy days. We need the tough times to make us long for Heaven, to make us strengthen our faith in God, and to remind us that God is in control and has a plan. So don't expect or even hope for all sunny days. It won't happen. Rejoice on rainy days.

So we now own 2 fish. I also meant to tell this story on the last post. When we went to the fair/carnival last week for the 2nd time, some boys came up to us and handed us two bags, each containing a little goldfish. They had won them in the "get-the-ping-pong-ball-in-the-bowl" game and didn't want them. They offered them to me. I made a split-second decision and took them. Then I slowly turned around to see the look on my wife's face. I knew I'd get "the look" and I did. We had talked about getting Max a fish for his birthday which is coming up because he had mentioned wanting some, but we were far from a decision or conclusion. I probably shouldn't have taken them, but my first reaction was 'wow, so easy, we don't even have to go buy any, it was meant to be, God wanted us to have fish so he sent these boys to give us 2 fish...just like in the feeding of the 5000, it's Biblical, where are the 5 loaves?' Of course, in that split second of thinking I forgot about a bowl and food and discussing proper care with Max first. But my wonderful, beautiful wife finally relented and said we could keep them. The boys were excited. So was their dad. We had to go to 3 stores that night to find a bowl. The boys immediately named them the next day with middle names and all. So now we own Flipper Lipscomb Thweatt and Swimmer Griffin Thweatt. I'm sure Griffin is smiling down and so happy that we named a goldfish after him. I think Susan secretly likes them....she just won't admit it.

Mr. Ed? The talking horse? Old school. Very old. Even too old for me. I never watched the show although I've seen a re-run or two somewhere a long time ago. That's not the Mr. Ed I'm talking about. I'm talking about a man at our church who is the most amazing servant I've ever seen.

The tornadoes recently across our country have been unbelievable. I can't believe some of the pictures and videos I've seen on the news or internet. I've always been fascinated by tornadoes and storms. I'm one of those idiots that stands at the window and watches while my more intelligent family goes to the basement like they should. I've never actually seen a tornado or experienced any damage from one, but I know those who have and I've seen damage first hand. It's terrifying and heart-breaking, and it's also one of those things where I foolishly say "it won't happen to me." Shame on me (again). It's a part of life just like any suffering. We could ask God why all day long but it's just another one of those mysteries that we're going to have to trust Him with. But back to Mr. Ed.

When the tornadoes hit Alabama and then Missouri, our church did the normal thing. We prayed. We took up a collection. What else can you do? Mr. Ed did more. He immediately went to Alabama and looked for any way he could help. He didn't hesitate. He then went to Joplin, MO to do the same. He's still there! He just forgot about anything else and went. He's now living there until his work is done. By the way, Mr. Ed is not a young man. He has grandkids. And he recently had surgery as well. But that's just him. He's always looking for ways to help, encourage and serve others. When he came to our church as a new member, we didn't have a chance to get to know him because he got to know us first. And I absolutely love talking with him. He is so kind and encouraging to me and my entire family. He is the true definition of a Christ-like servant. Mr. Ed is one of my heroes and mentors. I want to be just like him. He has the spirit of Christ inside and uses it effectively. I often get way too comfortable with my routine and feel that prayer or sending money is enough to help others. But I, like Mr. Ed, need to look for other ways to serve. What can I physically do? Who can I help? That's what Jesus did and we should all do the same. I vow today to start doing a better job of this. I use Mr. Ed and several others at our church as an example. Not because I'm hoping for a reward or "points with God", but because it's what Jesus would do. And look at the opportunities Mr. Ed has to share Christ with others while he's serving.

So thank you Mr. Ed for your example. Thank you for showing me and so many others what a true servant is. May God richly bless you and your family.

I love Griffin and I love God.

Keep runnin'. The PRIZE awaits. (Php. 3:14)

-Albert

No comments:

Post a Comment