What can I say? I love to run. I've run 4 full marathons and 6 halfs. But I love God more and I'm determined to run this race of life for Him to receive the ultimate prize of Heaven. I'd like to share my thoughts with you. You can agree or disagree. Comment or don't. You can read or not read. But it's here if you want it. Enjoy! .

Saturday, March 3, 2012

Should I Feel Bad?

So yesterday was an eventful day!! I knew storms were forecasted even Thursday and all indications showed they would be bad. But I assumed the day would go on like normal. I just figured I would get wet going to my car after school since the storms were supposed to hit right at dismissal time. I noticed yesterday morning that a few school systems had already decided to let out early due to the forecasts. "Only in Tennessee," I thought. Only here do kids get out of school for rain or wind or forecasts or fog. But that's always public schools. It's never us. We wouldn't get out of school if a tornado sent a car through my classroom window......or aliens landed their spaceship on top of my classroom.....or if the sun suddenly exploded. We just don't get out. So imagine my shock when I got an email while teaching my 4th period class yesterday. "We have decided to dismiss school at noon today." Say what??? For real? Because of a forecast? It must be a really serious threat, I thought. Needless to say, I was excited. But for two reasons......

First, I was excited to get out of school early. Not that I don't love my precious little sixth graders and long to spend every waking minute of my life with them, but it was Friday. It's been a long week. I was ready for a break. An early start to the weekend was a blessing no doubt. But I was also excited for another reason and I don't know if I should feel bad about it or what. But I love storms. Maybe I'm weird. I know....there's no "maybe" about it. But I really do love them. I get excited when I hear forecasts like yesterday's. My wife is quite the opposite. She hates and dreads them. And I know many others that do as well. But I actually look forward to them. Now please don't get me wrong......I don't want anyone to get hurt and I hate that people suffer because of storms. I don't wish harm on anyone. But there's just something about storms that gets me excited. When my family heads to the basement, I usually head to the window. I want to watch. I'm also a radar fanatic....looking at it constantly to know when the storm is over our house. I know, I know...one of these days this is going to get me in trouble. But it truly does remind me of God's awesome power. Watching the rain, lightning, wind and hail.....listening to the thunder.....it reminds me that God is in charge and that he can do anything. In a strange way, watching all that makes me feel safe. It makes me happy and proud to serve such a powerful, almighty God.

Recently, one of my favorite Bible stories has become Jesus walking on the water in John 6. I love the fact that He was was alone on a mountain praying as His disciples got into the boat. Oh how I would love to be alone on a mountain praying watching a storm roll in. I had the pleasure in 2007 of visiting the Sea of Galilee and we went to a high point where we could see most of the sea. I imagined Jesus in that same spot, pouring His heart out to God while watching the clouds get darker. Maybe he could see a little boat on the water in the distance with his disciples in it. I just picture that scene and it makes me feel good. That's where I want to be. That would be a dream of mine. It would be a reminder that my Father in Heaven through His Son is watching over us in every storm. He "walks on the water" to us and protects us in everything. Yes, bad things happen and storms can be scary. But for me, it's reminder of His protection, power, creation and love. So sorry if it offends, but I love storms and look forward to the next one.

Yesterday was also eventful because I ran 3 miles for the first time since I started running again. I ran right before the storm hit. It was windy, but it was beautiful outside......hot even. But it felt great. I'm gradually trying to get my mileage up again. So far, the foot is handling it just fine. My goal is to get to 5 miles by March 27. I want to run 5 miles on that Tuesday morning. Why? It's exactly five miles to the tenth from our house to Griffin's grave. And I plan to run there that morning to remember and celebrate his one year birthday. If anyone wants to join me on that run that morning, I'd welcome the company. But I plan to start that morning with the run and spending time in prayer there at his grave thanking God for His plan and for bringing us through this difficult year. If you'd like to join me there for prayer, I'd welcome that too.

I hope everyone has a wonderful weekend. The sun is already shining as I write this and I can tell it's going to be a beautiful one. God is good.

I love God, Griffin, my Girl, and my Guys.

Keep runnin'. The PRIZE awaits. (Php. 3:14)

-Albert

1 comment:

  1. Wonderful good man. God is obviously holding you close. Grace and peace.

    ReplyDelete