What can I say? I love to run. I've run 4 full marathons and 6 halfs. But I love God more and I'm determined to run this race of life for Him to receive the ultimate prize of Heaven. I'd like to share my thoughts with you. You can agree or disagree. Comment or don't. You can read or not read. But it's here if you want it. Enjoy! .

Friday, May 7, 2010

Was I Wrong?

8:10AM

So I co-hosted the "Runners Roundtable" podcast this week. I thoroughly enjoyed helping out for the third time. The topic as I mentioned in my last post was "Avoiding the Medical Tent". I, along with Steve Runner, told our stories of recent races where we both suffered medical-type issues. After telling our stories, we discussed what we did versus what we should have done as well as how to avoid it happening again. There was a lot said and I can't possibly sum it up here, but I thought Steve made a great point toward the end. He said we all know there is going to be pain in these long distance (and even short distance) races. That's part of running. And that's true. I love running, but I can't say it's pain free. I am always glad to be done with a workout. Sometimes when I'm done, I feel great and feel like I could keep going but other times, I can't wait to see my driveway. But it's never as comfortable a feeling as sitting on the couch relaxing or sleeping in my bed for that matter. I think we could all say that.

So when we run races, whatever distances, we are going to have pain or uncomfortableness. Is that a word? Anyways, these races are endurance events. If they were easy, everyone would do it. They are supposed to be a test of our endurance and strength. So I expect pain every time I race because I'm pushing myself. That's why the finish feels so good. Not just the sense of accomplishing the race, but the feeling of the pain going away. I think the feeling at the finish is one of the big reasons I keep doing the races.

So here's the big question: Where's that line between pain and danger? And we talked about that on the show and the fact that it's hard to see. At this most recent half marathon, I knew I was having pain pretty much the whole time. I could tell it was going to be a tough race and I wasn't going to feel as good as I have in other races, BUT I didn't know I was in TROUBLE until around mile 12. By then, I felt I was close enough to the finish line to keep going even though I knew I might be in danger. So I ask the question again:

Was I wrong??? Should I have stopped and at least walked or should I have done what I did and kept pushing to the finish knowing it was close and also knowing I had a chance at a PR? I think I made the right choice, but some might disagree. My plan is always to push myself to the limit until I physically can't go on. I was hurting but I could still go on so I did. I'm still not sure what exactly happened but that's another topic and this post is already too long.

I ran a mile last night with both boys. The 5 year old wanted to go too so we did. We all made it without stopping. Still looking toward the 5K on Memorial Day. Hoping they still have it despite the flood damage. I think they will. 2 more weeks of school!! Can Not Wait until Summer Vacation. I have a lot to do this summer but it will be a nice change. Plus - it means Disney is coming up. Yahoo! Have a good weekend and....

Keep runnin'
Albert

2 comments:

  1. It is an interesting question and certainly a personal one. You have to know your limits and pain thresholds. As a runner you know there is a chance that something will go wrong, that there will be pain, that you could injure yourself. The hard part is understanding when your pain is past the point of just normal running pain and turning the corner to a possible emergency room visit.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great question. I read your race report and I would have done exactly the same thing. You were almost there and still running. If you were limping and risking injury then maybe that would be different but you were almost there. You do now have a great opportunity to share your story and tell people to hydrate, eat GU or something along the way or whatever lessons you learned that can help someone else. Oh, and even elites and very competitive runners sometime pass out too. Good job on your half and PR.

    ReplyDelete